The Cameron Foundation in Petersburg, Virginia, is a philanthropic non-profit organization which donates approximately $5,000,000 annually to other non-profits and special projects throughout the region. For its new headquarters, the Cameron Foundation chose to restore and re-use a circa 1840 Greek Revival home. The home had been gutted by fire and left abandoned for five years. Enteros Design provided documents for the house restoration, as well as a new addition that doubles the size of the building.
The addition is designed to be compatible with the existing historic architecture, while clearly expressing a contemporary vision. The proportions and scale of the Greek Revival architecture are represented in the addition with new brick piers, a standing seam metal roof, a pediment, and vertical openings. Large areas of glass create transparency and spaces filled with natural light. The addition will house public meeting rooms and a large reception area. Landscaped terraces will define entry to the addition and provide outdoor reception space.